Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Cows & Horses

Farm animals have, and continue to be, an integral part of island life. Looking through my family's collection of photos, I notice they appear in quite a few...sometimes with people, and other times by themselves. Here's a selection of the first kind. Enjoy! 





My grandma is the little girl on the wagon







 


My grandma's brother, Eldon, in 1945


My grandma, with her brother Eldon, and father Gunder

Here's my grandma, Marie Boe, years later...milking cows on her own farm!

2 comments:

  1. This is the Marie I first fell in love with! Marie with her long braid was our 4-H knitting and sewing teacher (leader) for YEARS. Her words echo often in my mind "you slipped a stitch? ok we'll weave it like so" SO PATIENT (along with Barbara Jean). My father Ray occassionally milked for Leonard and Marie but it was in the 70s and they had machines then, thankfully. Many cows provided for many islanders and we so enjoyed the lovely rich raw milk - incredible memories! Thank you for sharing :-)) Diane Kinnaman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your family memories! They bring back so many for me of your family - this picture of Marie with her long braid is priceless. The Marie I fell in love with, our beloved 4-H knitting/sewing leader. Her words echo through my mind still! (along with sweet memories of Barbara Jean and Jamie and Leonard). My father Ray would help milk their cows in the 70s and by then they used machines (thankfully). Many islanders enjoyed the wonderful rich raw milk..we'd get on our way out of town in the little shed, on credit :-) Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete