Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Knights of the Maccabees

For a long time I didn't know the story behind this image; I just knew that my great-grandma's brother, Frank Armstrong, was the man on the far left in the back row. Interestingly, the Lopez Island Historical Society submitted a copy to the Washington Rural Heritage site. Plus, it is also shown in the Images of America~Lopez Island book by Susan Lehne Ferguson and the Lopez Island Historical Society and Museum. I was thrilled when I was looking through my copy of the book, and saw the image. What's really interesting is that my photograph is unlabeled, but the one held by the LIHS is labeled, with one exception...my great-grandma's brother Frank! So, here you have the Knights of the Maccabees group, on Lopez Island, in the very early 1900s. They are (bottom row left to right) Johnny Graham, Tom King, John Cousins, Norman P. Hodgson, and Erv Eaton. The second row (left to right) are Frank Armstrong, Nick Davidson, Robert Cousins, Amoe Carr, Joe Cousins, and Ab Graham. I love looking at the clothes, and each man's expression!


No comments:

Post a Comment